Sunday, October 28, 2012

It's a BOY! Allen's Birth Story

First I had to show a picture of how perfect he is!
Adam and I went into labor and delivery 5:30 am on Friday. I got checked in and my IV put in right away, shortly after my doctor came in and broke my water. I got a bag of fluid hung, penicillin since I tested GBS positive, and pitocin. I got checked and was dilated to 4 cm and 80-90% effaced. I was taking to the pitocin really well so they upped the dosage. Shortly after I asked to get up and walk around to help push baby against my cervix. Adam and I would walk 15-20 steps and I would get a contraction. I would use Adam's arms to support me and I would blow through the contraction. We made 3-4 laps around the L and D wing and I wanted to go back to my room. My nurse came in and checked me again and I was 5+ cm dilated. They set up the birthing cart and started getting everything ready since I was progressing so nicely. Shortly after that my Mom and Dad arrived and my contractions were getting crazy strong, and very close together. I kept talking to Adam and decided that at this point maybe getting an epidural might be right for me because I didn't know if I would be able to handle much more. This was awful for me to come to a realization about because I wanted to go all natural, no types of drugs. I also told my parents when they got there that I didn't care that they were in the room, but it wasn't pretty since my contractions were so bad. 
I paged my nurse and said that I wanted an epidural and to page anesthesiology. They did and I just had to wait for him/her to get there. This made me break down a little, but I knew I was doing only what I could handle. This is when everything went crazy painful, crazy fast. I had my parents leave and I got checked again and I was 9+ cm and almost ready to start pushing. My mind went straight to thinking about the epidural and how I wasn't going to be getting it. I was excited and upset at the same time. I then screamed and told my nurse I had the urge to push, sure enough I was 10 cm dilated. The anesthesiologist walked in and my nurse goes she's 9-10 we won't be needed you, I waved him goodbye and tried to just breathe. WAY, WAY easier said than done. 
I began to push and my pushes were actually doing something and I could feel everything that I was doing. In between pushes I was put on oxygen to make sure that baby was getting enough. I got to the point of feeling intense pressure and knew that baby was so close. My doctor was brought into the room and after 3-4 more good pushes baby was out. I got to the point where my stomach was flat and I could see what I was doing. I saw the top of baby's head and I didn't care if I was having a contraction to help or not I was not letting baby slip back up. I was getting baby out! 
The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and he was slightly blue. Adam was able to cut the cord and they brought baby directly over to the warming table. Before he was brought over it was announced he was a boy and I couldn't help, but cry with happiness. 
Oh I also forgot before my pushes got real intense Katie showed up to help coach me and to take pictures for us. Adam and Katie went over to the warming table with baby and I was left to push out my afterbirth. I was completely exhausted. My doctor assured me that it would only take one small push, nothing like pushing baby out. She rubbed my lower abdomen I gave one small push and the placenta was out. I didn't tear and didn't get an episiotomy either. I got a small abrasion on the inside that required two stitches. 
Allen Lloyd Jamerson was born 10/26/12 at 12:50 pm weighing 7 pounds 4 ounces and 20 inches long.

Shortly after Allen was all wrapped up and I was able to hold my son for the first time. Can you see the joy in my face? Words cannot describe the feelings that were running through me when he was handed to me from Adam. It was so crazy to think that he was inside me and now he's on the outside and he's so perfect!
My labor was 7 hours long and I had 1 hour of pushing. I progressed from a 5 to a 10 in less than an hour. My doctor joked with me that morning that she wanted me to have a baby before 3 we sure did beat that time. My doctor was so happy with how great I did and she told me that I was made to have babies with how my labor went.That was something great to hear. 
Allen and I were doing great after labor. He did so good the first night, he slept well, he fed really well. We were told that we would be able to leave any time after 1 on Saturday. We were discharged at 6 pm yesterday and got to enjoy home. 
My parents helped us once we got home to introduce Allen to the pets. First he met Dexter and Chevy and then met Emma. Ace was last to meet Allen since he was so wound up. My parents are here for the weekend to help us with anything that we needed and take care of the dogs when we were in the hospital. 
Allen's birth story is simply amazing and I can't believe that this is how it all happened. Adam and I have been praying since we found out we were pregnant that the pregnancy and baby would be healthy and that I would have an easy delivery. I don't think I could've asked for an easier delivery. God truly was on our side through labor. I could feel him there with us. That was an amazing feeling as well. God has tenfold blessed Adam and I in our marriage and he has now blessed us with an amazing son. I can't wait to watch him grow.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things about the amazing day and I will try my best to update this post if I did forget something big and am also going to do my best to update of how life of being a mommy is going!

No comments:

Post a Comment